Thursday, March 26, 2015

Essay Packet

One of the essay that I ended up reading and also going over in class was the unspoken hunger essay. This essay originally caught my attention because out of all the essay it was the shortest. Also I was very hungry while reading it so it just sparked my attention. At First I had to read it a couple of time to really try and understand exactly what the essay was talking about. This essay seemed more like a poem to me rather then a essay because of how the essay could have a deeper meaning to the hunger that the author is actually talking about.
   To me I felt maybe the author was meaning a different hunger for a person. instead of hunger like being hungry. At the end of the essay it says "we look at each other and smile, eating our avocados with sharp sliver blades, risking the blood of our tongues repeatedly." This made me feel like maybe the author Is talking about having hunger to speak to another person because the way they say risking the blood on our tongues repeatedly. This sounds like they risk their words over and over again regardless of what is being said or how bad what is being said is.
   After reading this a little more I feel that there could possible be two meaning the literal meaning of eating avocados. Which the author talking about through out the whole essay. Then there is the metaphorical meaning that could be like a hunger for a person. Also is could be a hunger for something else like success which would be more understanding considering the title is The Unspoken Hunger because most people don't speak on what exactly in life they are hungry for so that other don't shoot down their dreams.

1 comment: